The Water and Sanitation Master Plan of Boa Vista Island (with an area of 620 km2 and a population of 9162 inhabitants in 2010), had the global objective of establishing, for the next 20 years, a universal and sustainable Water and Sanitation service for the population of Boa Vista, including the respective Strategic Environmental and Social Assessment and, as partial goals, the following:
- Define the goals to be reached and the conditions to be met in the island of Boa Vista in the supply of water and sanitation for population, equipment, industry and tourism;
- Define the goals to be achieved and the conditions to be met in the supply of water for agricultural and livestock farms;
- Select the sources of water and define the respective abstraction infrastructures;
- Design the pipeline system that will transport treated water to the various locations;
- Establish the treatment schemes to be adopted, aiming at the production of drinking water that permanently complies with the requirements of the World Health Organization;
- Define the types of community water supply facilities for people living in homes without an internal distribution network;
- Find out the volumes of reserve water and the respective territorial distribution;
- Settle the problem of sanitation and combine it with that of water supply;
- Design the wastewater drainage networks;
- Define the respective purification schemes and final destination of the purified effluent with a view to reuse the regenerated water;
- Identify the necessary investments and estimate the respective costs;
- Establish timetables for the execution of the respective works.
The work carried out also included training actions aimed at training and transferring knowledge to local institutions on the following topics:
- Legal, contractual and regulatory framework: Water Law and Regulation of Water and Sanitation Services; Introduction to water supply and wastewater sanitation services; Public-private partnerships, their promotion and contractual management; Regulations for water and sanitation services;
- Sustainable management of water and sanitation services: Water Safety Plans; Infrastructure asset management; Quality of water for human consumption;
- Information, education and communication: Interface between management entities and users; Strategic Environmental and Social Assessment Procedure.
Master Plan, including all studies necessary for its development, namely on: Water Supply, Sanitation, Strategic and Social Environmental Assessment, Monitoring Plan and Evaluation of the Master Plan, including the definition of indicators, critical decision factors and criteria for analysis.
The provision of services also included the training/capacity building and knowledge transfer component, public consultations and GIS.