This unit,designed for the company Electricidade da Madeira, has a generation capacity of30 MWe.
The projectenvisages the optimization of the operation of the electrical network of theisland, combining the wind electrical generation with the hydroelectricalgeneration.
- In hours of low energy demand the wind turbines supply energy to the pumping station.
- In hours of huge demand the hydroelectrical station supplies energy to the network.
The systemis formed by the following infrastructures:
- Upper Reservoir (Dam of Pico da Urze) with a volume of the basin of 1.000.000 m3;
DIN 1500 conduct, with 3342 m of length and 700m of fall height;
- Hydroelectrical central and Pumping Station with two Pelton turbines, of 15 MW each, and three main pumps with electrical motors of 5 MW, 6 kV and frequency variator. The primary pumps are of 1 MW.
- Primary Station, in the body of the Lower Dam;
- Main Station, in the same building as the hydroelectrical .
- Internal Reservoir (Calheta dam) with a volume of 67 000 m3.
Hydroelectrical Central and Pumping Station:
Design of Architecture, Specialties and Electromechanical Installations.
Dam of Pico da Urze:
Structures, Electrical Installations and Instrumentation Design